Friday, July 17, 2009

Garden update

Yes, Barretts are still alive and kicking! More updates soon, I hope. We've been on vacation and relaxing during the summer vacation.

I've continued to enjoy watching my garden grow, despite the soaring Texas heat and no rain. We've definitely seen the "fruit" of our labor! However, everything seems to be growing miniature versions of everything! My first lesson in gardening has been the importance of fertilizer!! I showered my weak plants with some miracle-grow about a month ago and was shocked when everything shot up and got alot more green! The square-foot-gardening method was supposed to take care of that, but apparently I took a few shortcuts that I shouldn't have!! Fortunately, the growing season in Texas is LLLLOOONNNNGGGG, so I hopefully have time to recover!

Despite the small proportions, we've enjoyed watching our magic garden! First picture is one of our ice box watermelons! They are small by design, but this one is about the size of a tennis ball!! That's a pretty small ice box!!!

The next one is our corn. It is supposed to be about 6 feet tall, but ours only made it up to about 3 or 4 feet! We have 3 ears growing, but one has already fallen victim to the ants! We opened it up and saw some pretty yellow kernels inside (and ants, of course).




















Next is my "prize" tomato. Actually, my only tomato! It was a beautiful firm green tomato when we left for Colorado. When we came home, it was a beautiful red, but also had a big hole in it! :( Someone else beat us to the harvest!















Last, these are my bell peppers. We had one that I "harvested" - but it was about the size of a walnut! I've got these guys growing with hopes they get a little bit larger!




The herbs in the background are doing great! Basil and oregano LOVE the heat! Parsley too! Definitely those guys are the most successful parts of the garden!! Oh - and more pictures soon of Anna's and Daniel's sunflowers!! They are great!!!!!

No comments: